Which Home Depot Pole Saw is Best?
If you find yourself wanting longer arms when that dead limb is just out of reach, it might be time to upgrade your gear. The Home Depot offers a wide variety of pole saws for all levels of experience and intensity of use.
When you’re serious about keeping order and a proper pruning schedule, or have a large property to maintain, the Milwaukee M18 FUEL 18V Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Pole Saw with accessory is a good choice.
What to know before buying a Home Depot pole saw
Power source for pole saw
The Home Depot offers pole saws with four power options.
- Gas: Traditionally used by professional landscapers and tree maintenance services, gas-powered pole saws are durable and capable of handling most jobs. However, they are more expensive and heavier.
- Electric: In terms of environmental benefits, electric pole saws win out. They plug into an outlet and are quiet, lightweight and easy to use. However, they may not have enough power and you are limited by the length of the cord.
- Battery: Battery saws combine some of the best benefits from each category. They are a little heavier than electric and manual saws, but not as heavy as gas-powered ones. They are more affordable, especially if you buy the same brand of battery-operated garden tools and can swap batteries between them. However, some of them have insignificant battery life.
- Manual: Manual pole saws are lightweight and affordable, but cutting larger branches or limbs can be tricky.
Type of work
Homeowners and professional landscapers need different tools. Homeowners seek to clear a few trees, while landscapers go through thousands in their weekly jobs. With a dedicated Pro desk, Home Depot offers pole saws that do both.
Since you are using the pole saw away from your center of gravity, the length of the bar is important. Too long and you won’t be able to steer the operation reliably, but too short and you’re limited in the width of branches or limbs you can cut.
To get a good idea of your needs, take the length of the breaker bar and divide it in half. This is about the maximum width of branch you can cut with your pole saw. This number increases as the pole gets shorter. But because you have less leverage when the pole is extended, the cutting ability is less.
What to Look for in a Quality Home Depot Pole Saw
In addition to providing user instructions in the box, many Home Depot stores offer courses in everything from pruning and brush removal to making firewood from felled trees. .
A pole saw requires oil for the bar and tension must be maintained for safe operation. Most Home Depot pole saws come with automatic oilers and easy-to-reach chain tensioners. These allow you to get the job done with fewer breaks.
Guarantees and returns
The Home Depot knows your tools have to work hard. The vast majority of their product lines come with limited warranties against defects in workmanship or workmanship.
Additionally, with some exceptions, The Home Depot accepts returns of new and unopened merchandise for 90 days with a receipt. Don’t have a receipt? An associate may be able to find your purchase on their computer to refund your original payment method. Otherwise, you can still return for store credit.
How much you can expect to spend on a Home Depot pole saw
Prices vary depending on the type of power supply you select and whether or not a battery or other accessories are included with the tool. Expect to spend between $100 and $500.
Home Depot Pole Saw FAQs
What is the maximum extension length of a pole saw?
A. It depends on the type of saw you choose. Professional models can extend an additional 10 to 13 feet beyond their original length.
Is there a trick to using a pole saw?
ONE. As with everything, more practice increases your skill.
- The longer the extensionthe harder it is to cut.
- The thicker the memberthe more tiring the cut will be.
- Never use a pole saw near power lines.
- Clear a work area below where you will cut.
- Make sure an assistant is nearby.
- Position yourself so that the branch you cut is as close to chest height as possible. Never cut under a branch.
- Start by cutting a small groovethen use a rhythmic motion to complete the cut.
- If in doubtask for help or hire a professional.
What is the best Home Depot pole saw to buy?
Home Depot Pole Saw Top
Milwaukee M18 FUEL 18V Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Pole Saw with Accessory
What do you want to know: It’s a tough, heavy-duty choice that fits Milwaukee’s entire line of M18 tools.
What you will love: Make 150 cuts per charge of the lithium-ion battery. The saw head measures 10 inches and reaches full power in 1 second. The chain tensioner is easy to access and the saw comes with a three-year limited warranty.
What you should consider: It’s heavy, just under 13 pounds, and it’s expensive. If you only need a pole saw occasionally, it may require more equipment than necessary.
Or buy: Sold by Home Depot
Best Home Depot Pole Saw for the Money
8 Amp Convertible 2-in-1 Electric Chainsaw
What do you want to know: This is perfect for trimming and trimming felled limbs to length.
What you will love: Telescoping mast extends up to 15 feet for longer reach. The 10 inch bar can also be converted into a handheld chainsaw for cutting limbs up to 9.5 inches. It weighs just under 8.5 pounds and has a built-in safety switch. Operation is silent.
What you should consider: The cord is very short and some users report oil leaking. This is best reserved for small yards.
Or buy: Sold by Home Depot
Worth checking out
Greenworks Pro 60-Volt Battery Cordless Pole Saw (Tool Only)
What do you want to know: If you already have tools in the Greenworks range, this “tool only” choice may work well for you.
What you will love: It is perfect for small garden cleaning jobs. It’s lightweight and easy to handle, and it runs on a 60- or 40-volt battery sized for Greenworks tools. It features an automatic chain oiler for smoother operation and a 10-inch bar to tackle most jobs. It comes with a four-year limited warranty.
What you should consider: Maintaining chain tension is a challenge.
Or buy: Sold by Home Depot
Do you want to buy the best products at the best prices? Check out the daily deals from BestReviews.
Sign up here to receive the weekly BestReviews newsletter for helpful tips on new products and great deals.
Suzannah Kolbeck writes for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their buying decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2022 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.