Which commercial leaf blower is the best?
Whether you need to remove large amounts of leaves, clear snow, or clean up a dirty driveway, a commercial leaf blower can get the job done. From handheld options to backpack options, the best machines are durable, powerful, and provide a convenient way to maintain the landscape with minimal hassle. The best commercial leaf blower is the powerful and lightweight Milwaukee M18 FUEL Lithium-Ion Cordless Handheld Leaf Blower Kit with M18 FUEL Hedge Trimmer.
What to know before buying a professional leaf blower
There are three main types of commercial leaf blowers:
- Hand leaf blowers are one of the most common options. These machines are lightweight and can easily clear a yard of debris and wet leaves. Some even vacuum the leaves for easy disposal later. These powerful leaf blowers are quiet, between 70 and 100 decibels. Handheld leaf blowers use a battery, fuel tank, or cord to operate.
- Backpack Leaf Blowers weigh around 20 pounds and are heavier than laptops, but are often more powerful. Since you wear them like a backpack, the weight is distributed evenly across your shoulders and back. These machines run on gas or electricity.
- Wheeled Leaf Blowers are generally the most powerful and largest machines. They can weigh over 100 pounds and are often very loud. They are best for large landscaping projects or job sites.
Motor power and speed control
You can scale commercial leaf blowers with the following measurements.
- Cubic feet per minute: This indicates the amount of air that passes through the nozzle each minute. Machines with a higher value can clean larger areas more efficiently than those with a lower value. Most units have a CFM of 200 to 800.
- Miles per hour: This refers to how quickly the machine removes leaves, sand, dirt, and other debris. Most commercial leaf blowers range between 100 and 250 miles per hour.
- Speed control: Some leaf blowers have an adjustable speed control. This means that the machine can reach and maintain a certain speed without you having to pull the trigger. This is useful if you want to remove some foliage but not others, such as mulch.
The cfm and mph indicate engine power. If you have a machine with high cfm but low mph, you can easily clean a nearby area. And if you have one with a higher mph and low cfm, you can clean smaller areas from a greater distance.
Gas-powered leaf blowers typically operate around 100 decibels, while electric and battery-powered ones hover around 75 decibels. Your local municipality may have its own regulations and limitations on how many decibels you can use, so check them out before making a purchase.
What to Look for in a Quality Commercial Leaf Blower
The run time of a leaf blower depends on the model, type, and power source.
- Battery machines have an average runtime of 20 to 70 minutes. Standard batteries range from 18 to 120 volts. As a general rule, a larger battery means longer battery life.
- Gasoline units can hold up to 40 ounces of fuel and run for 1-3 hours.
- Corded Leaf Blowers, unlike cordless, they can run all the time because they are not dependent on a battery.
Leaf blowers have nozzles of different lengths. However, there are two main types of nozzles:
- Flat nozzles often have higher speeds, so they are best for removing heavy objects. They are also good for removing wet or heavy leaves.
- Round nozzles typically use more air, making them ideal for handling a lot of debris and leaves. They are also useful for general yard maintenance.
Some leaf blowers come with both types of nozzles, so you can swap them out as needed.
Wired or wireless
Corded leaf blowers are generally lighter, less expensive, and can run indefinitely as long as they are plugged in. However, they have a more limited range and often require an extension cord for larger areas. The cord can also get caught in objects or, when exposed to moisture, be damaged. Wireless units are much less limited in terms of range, but they are also heavier and more expensive. They also have a shorter run time. That said, they are a good option for larger projects.
Some units come with accessories such as extension wands, cord locks, extra nozzles and hedge trimmers.
How much you can expect to spend on a commercial leaf blower
Leaf blowers cost between $50 and $400. Some higher-end units can cost $600 or more, especially if they come with an extended warranty or accessories. In general, cordless commercial leaf blowers usually cost more than corded ones.
Commercial Leaf Blower FAQs
How do you maintain a commercial leaf blower?
A. With proper maintenance, your device should last about 10 years. Always clean it immediately after use to ensure it lasts as long as possible. Use a slightly damp cloth to wipe the air filter and fan blades. Try not to leave any debris behind. Also check the nozzle regularly for signs of wear and store it in a dry, well-ventilated place.
Are there any dangers or health risks to using a leaf blower?
A. These machines can pollute the air or produce dust and other particles in the air, which can lead to breathing difficulties. To avoid this, wear a safety mask and goggles.
What is the best commercial leaf blower to buy?
Top professional leaf blower
Milwaukee M18 FUEL M18 FUEL Lithium-Ion Cordless Handheld Blower Kit with M18 FUEL Hedge Trimmer
What do you want to know: This cordless handheld machine comes complete with a hedge trimmer, variable speed trigger, high and low speed settings, battery, charger and round nozzle.
What you will love: It can reach up to 450 cfm and 120 mph. It’s also versatile and compatible with over 200 Milwaukee tools. The machine comes with a limited warranty for general wear and tear.
What you should consider: It is heavy, so it can be difficult to use for long periods of time.
Or buy: Sold by Home Depot
Best commercial leaf blower for the money
Toro PowerJet F700 12 Amp Handheld Electric Leaf Blower
What do you want to know: This lightweight electric leaf blower is a great entry-level option as it can cover a large distance effectively and efficiently.
What you will love: At just over 6 pounds, this corded machine is relatively quiet and works great on smaller projects. It has a top speed of around 260 mph and a 725 cfm, making it powerful enough to clear most debris.
What you should consider: The control button is a bit difficult to use.
Or buy: Sold by Home Depot
Worth checking out
Schroder Gas Backpack Leaf Blower
What do you want to know: This heavy-duty backpack leaf blower is powerful enough to handle everything from cleaning wet leaves to clearing dirt and light snow.
What you will love: Weighing just under 20 pounds, this machine has a top speed of 230 mph and 920 cfm. It is German made and quite powerful. It comes with a two-stroke engine that uses gasoline and oil to run.
What you should consider: This requires some understanding of how leaf blowers work.
Or buy: Sold by Amazon
Sign up here to receive the weekly BestReviews newsletter for helpful tips on new products and great deals.
Angela Watson writes for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their buying decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2022 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.